New River Valley, VA – Tourism professionals from across Southwest Virginia recently gathered in Wytheville for the fourth annual Celebrate Tourism Summit. The tourism directors in Virginia’s New River Valley won several awards across a variety of categories. The awards are presented by Friends of Southwest Virginia “to celebrate the outstanding work within the tourism industry in Southwest Virginia.” Friends of Southwest Virginia is a non-profit that helps artists, craftspeople, localities, nonprofits, and entrepreneurs mobilize and succeed.
Thirty-eight Southwest Virginia Tourism Awards were given in categories that ranged from tourism leadership, tourism marketing, special events, to visitor services.
The New River Valley won the following awards:
- Best Rack Card or Brochure; Marketing Budget $50,000 or less: Floyd County Tourism, Floyd Outdoors
- Best New Website for a Locality; Marketing Budget $50,000 or more: Visit NRV
- Outstanding One Day Event of the Year (more than 2,000 attendees): The New River Valley Sheep and Goat Festival
- Outstanding Festival of the Year with 2 or more days (more than 10,000 attendees): FloydFest
- Outstanding Attraction of the Year: Sinkland Farms
- Shining Star – Outstanding Tourism Leader of the Year: Dylan Locke, Floyd Country Store
- Outstanding Tourism Leader of the Year: Peggy White, Pulaski County
Congratulations to all those who won this year! And to all those who continue to showcase the beauty of Virginia’s New River Valley through their tourism efforts.
View the full list of winners here.
In the NRV, the mountains call you and the New River floods you with peace. The scenery inspires, the people connect, and the work feels easy. Discover why the region is a natural fit here.
Virginia’s New River Valley: Virginia’s New River Valley is an eclectic mix of interconnected small towns that each offer their own unique vibe and appeal. The region provides an abundance of cultural and social offerings due to the presence of three world-class universities, while retaining the charm and benefits of small town living. The NRV is home to a diverse and innovative business community with companies that range from high-tech startups to foreign-based corporations to specialty agribusiness. These organizations benefit from the collaborative spirit of our region and a loyal, highly-skilled, and educated workforce. The scenic beauty of the region also fosters a deep connection to nature, which is deepened by access to outdoor recreation and the preservation of our natural environment. It’s clear why Virginia’s New River Valley is “A Natural Fit.”
Onward NRV: Onward NRV is a public/private, regional economic development organization whose mission is to attract and retain world class jobs, investment, and talent in Virginia’s New River Valley. It’s also a movement where leaders from business, government, and higher education work together to promote the economic vitality of the region.