New River Valley, VA – Throughout 2020, the New River Valley was frequently recognized for its outstanding lifestyle amenities, business growth, and educational opportunities. The region is truly a premiere destination to live, work, and do business. Below is a list of just a few of the accolades won in 2020 by the counties, city, towns, and universities that comprise Virginia’s New River Valley.
High Quality of Life
- Pulaski is the #1 most affordable place to live in Virginia according to HomeSnacks.net.
- Pulaski is also the #2 most affordable place to buy a home in Virginia according to SmartAsset.com.
- Blacksburg was ranked among the Top 100 Small Cities/Towns in the U.S. by BestCities.org.
- LendingTree rated the New River Valley as the fourth best metro area for homeownership in Virginia.
Abundant Outdoor Amenities
- Floyd was voted the Top Tiny Adventure Town for 2020 by readers of Blue Ridge Outdoors magazine.
- The Cascades was listed among the Top 5 Scenic Family Hikes in Virginia by the Virginia Tourism Corporation.
- Pete Dye River Course was ranked 18th best golf course in Virginia by the Virginia Golf Ratings Panel.
Expanding and Developing Businesses
- The Virginia Chamber of Commerce recognized Harmonia Holdings Group on its 2020 “Fantastic 50” list, a ranking of the 50 fastest-growing companies in Virginia.
- Volvo Trucks North America’s 2019 expansion in Pulaski County was ranked third on a list of top projects in Virginia by Area Development magazine.
- Virginia Tech ranked #25 on the list of top undergraduate schools for entrepreneurship by The Princeton Review and Entrepreneur magazine.
Educating Tomorrow’s Talent
- Exelaration’s was ranked the #3 tech and engineering internship in the U.S. for 2021 by Vault.
- MCPS recognized as a “School Division of Innovation” by Virginia Board of Education for expanding information technology education and opportunities in the K-12 curricula.
- Blacksburg High School was ranked 30th among 386 public high schools in Virginia by U.S. News & World Report.
Top Tier Colleges & Universities
- Virginia Tech was ranked #3 Best College Campus in America by Niche.com.
- Radford University was ranked the #33 Southern Regional University by U.S. News and World Report.
- The Princeton Review listed Virginia Tech as the 7th most loved college in the country.
- Conde Nast Traveler listed Virginia Tech among the 50 most beautiful college campuses in America.
Virginia’s New River Valley: Virginia’s New River Valley is an eclectic mix of interconnected small towns that each offer their own unique vibe and appeal. The region provides an abundance of cultural and social offerings due to the presence of three world-class universities, while retaining the charm and benefits of small-town living. The NRV is home to a diverse and innovative business community with companies that range from high-tech startups to foreign-based corporations to specialty agribusiness. These organizations benefit from the collaborative spirit of our region and a loyal, highly skilled, and educated workforce. The scenic beauty of the region also fosters a deep connection to nature, which is deepened by access to outdoor recreation and the preservation of our natural environment. It’s clear why Virginia’s New River Valley is “A Natural Fit.”
Onward NRV: Onward NRV is a public/private, regional economic development organization whose mission is to attract and retain world class jobs, investment, and talent in Virginia’s New River Valley. It’s also a movement where leaders from business, government, and higher education work together to promote the economic vitality of the region.